Fantastica invites Australian and New Zealand writers to submit science fiction manuscripts for consideration.
What are we after
- Science fiction, not fantasy. Anything high-tech, low-tech or even no-tech (if you are OK with post-apoc style sci fi?). Stories set on a generation ship, on a futuristic terra firma or on a planet a million light years away.
Manuscripts of 30,000 words or more.
- Works that start with a bang, blow our minds and subvert our expectations.
What’s the prize?
$2000 + print and digital publication through Fantastica.
Winners will have their manuscript carefully shepherded to publication by an editor and the Fantastica team. The winning novel will be professionally designed with our usual flair and unleashed in digital and printed form in bookshops, on our website and ebook retailers.
The publishing contract offered to the winners is based on the standard Brio Books Publishing contract and includes a generous 25% royalty on net receipts and 50% on ebook sales. (The Australian publishing industry standard is 10% royalty on print and 25% on ebook sales.) Please note, the prize money is not an advance against royalties, royalty income is generated from the first sale.
Submissions open: June 2018
Submissions close: February 2019
Shortlist Announcement: April 2019
Winner Announcement: May-Dec 2019
Release: March 2020
Terms and Conditions
- Entries must be lodged before midnight on 31 January 2019 (EST)
- Entrants must normally be residents of Australia or New Zealand.
- All persons, other than immediate family members of Brio Books Pty Ltd, may enter the competition.
- The manuscript should be a work of fiction greater that 30,000 words in length.
- The manuscript must be an original work, written entirely by the entrant and it must be written in English.
- No more than 10 per cent of the manuscript can have been previously published in print form, or in electronic form, on a commercial basis.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The judges shall have the discretion to divide the prize equally between authors of entries they consider of equal merit. If, in their opinion, no entry is worthy of the prize, no winner shall be chosen. No entrant may win the prize in successive years.
- Pending acceptance of the publishing contract and reaching publication, the winning entrant will receive a cash prize of AUD$2000. In addition, Brio Books will publish a printed and electronic edition through the Fantastica imprint.
- The winner will be notified in strict confidence April 2019, at which time the winner must agree to keep this news confidential until the official announcement.